Saturday, June 5, 2010

An Ode to the Graduates




A colleague of mine observed in the Casa on Tuesday and what she said struck a chord with me.  She said, (and I paraphrase), "If every parent in Montessori could see your older children, they would all stay for the third year."  She was most struck by the children's independence, their problem-solving ability, and their "living-out" of the grace and courtesy lessons.  She noticed it with all the children, but especially with the older ones.  One child offered her tea, without any prompting.  The child made it herself, and when my colleague went to wash her dishes said, "You don't need to do that; I'll take care of it."  Another child deflected a not-so-nice comment with grace and ease.  An indication of their independence was my comment, "I can't get anyone to take a presentation this morning--they are all so busy."  To me it seemed a chaotic morning, because as those last days of school wind down the energy level and noise level seems to rise, but to her, it was a community living with purpose and love.  I will miss our lovely graduates, with their unique personalities and gifts.  I know that regardless of where they go for first grade and beyond, the foundation they have laid will serve them well.

2 comments:

  1. Awww! I'm going to cry! That's so beautiful, T! Alba still talks as though she'll be back with you in the fall. It's been a wonderful ride and we'll both feel a twinge when we have to walk past your casa in the fall. Such a wonderful, fast three years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this Montessori quote fit your "not able to give a presentation dilemma" perfectly :)
    The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

    ReplyDelete