Friday, April 16, 2010

Here Comes The Sun



Yesterday we had a staff meeting where we move a few shelves in Casa II and set up the chairs and tables for all the adults because we don't have a conference room.  When we were putting things back in order, I moved a shelf 6 inches and everything came tumbling off with a huge crash!  Almost everything broke:  all the pieces for tea, pineapple slicing and apple cutting.  If you are a Montessori guide you know how devastating this is--all the special little things you collect for years and years:  the perfect teapot, the apple-shaped bowl, the beautiful cup and saucer, the ideal tiny dish.  Then, on top of that, I lost my voice!  Anyway, I was looking through photos and came upon this one.  Usually this material is on a table, but this child found the perfect place to do his work.  I can replace the china, but could never do my work without the materials that the genius of Montessori developed.  A moment of illumination and humility.

3 comments:

  1. How devastating for you.

    It's a lovely picture. We always do the cylinder blocks on the floor - there isn't enough room on a table. Sunshine should be part of the materials though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, our children often choose to do this work on the mats, as well. More room down there!

    Not cringing when a "treasure" hits the floor is something that took a long time for me to master. I feel for you and wish you well in finding replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a yucky day! I have spontaneously collapsing shelves, and share your pain. However, I do believe the picture of the boy with the cylinders is one of the more lovely and inspiring Montessori pictures I've seen in a long time. Thanks for posting it, and I sure hope you feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete