Sunday, May 2, 2010

May Day



 

We had a May Day celebration at our school on May 1st.  The children could listen to the elementary school rock band, tour a fire truck, see a police car and police officer, plant a seed to take home, get their face painted, eat ice cream, and finally, make a May basket!  I remember that when I was a little girl, we would leave May baskets anonymously on our neighbor's door with candy and flowers inside.  The idea was to celebrate spring.  When I was a young mother, my neighbor would make posies of flowers and antique handkerchiefs, and pass them around the neighborhood.  I have used those handkerchiefs in my Casa to embellish various materials, and I remember my neighbor's kindness every time I see my creations.  May baskets are a lovely way to welcome beautiful weather and show people that you care.  It is the sweet and simple gestures that sometimes count the most of all.
6a010535bf3807970c01156f6bd416970c-800wi (432×329)

No comments:

Post a Comment