Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sensorial Simplicity


This little guy is marching around his brown or broad stair creation.  Every morning he comes in, and makes some new creation with the brown stair or the pink tower and then moves on to other things.  We all have our routines.  He knows geography better than most adults, can read and do basic equations yet is drawn to the sensorial materials.  I am amazed at how basic these materials are, yet they have such intricacy just below the surface.  I'm sure that is why so many children are drawn to them, to some unconscious complexity in the world that finds order in these materials.  I know that the materials make geometry easier when it is later introduced in the more conventional way.  My own son asked me, "Have I taken geometry before, because it seems like I understand it before it is explained?"  The simplicity of the genius of Dr. Montessori.  

1 comment:

  1. I like this post because it gives a glimpse into one particular child and how he relates to the Montessori method.

    And you are so right about the genius of Dr. Montessori - everything is made so clear for the children, as it should be!

    ReplyDelete