Monday, July 5, 2010

Transforming Words



I'm looking for a book for our fall parent book club.  My fall-back book is How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk.  That book was my crutch when my children were small.  I'm reading Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort.  I've heard good things about it, and I am hopeful it will be a good Montessori fit.  Aldort states, "It is our own mind-talk that prevents us from understanding the child and from knowing how to respond.  A child's actions are not bad or good; they are simply expressions of emotional and physical needs or they are innocent play.  Yet, our mind quickly evaluates a child's actions, and we respond not to the child, but to our own interpretations of her actions"  (Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves).  We in Montessori know the value of observation freed from preconceived ideas.  The book then identifies the five primary needs of children and how to respond to children authentically, with non-judgmental communication.  The book cover says it is for parents of babies to teens.  I'll keep you updated.  Let me know if there are any books out there you love that would be appropriate for a parent book club.  Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment